Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here it is,Thanksgiving Day.This is the beginning of my favorite time of the year:the Holiday season. Of course, I can appreciate it more now,because I am not working retail when Christmas music starts and decorations get put up the day after Halloween. By the time the actual holiday rolled around,I had had enough of Christmas.

However, today is about giving thanks. I have become more mindful of of my blessings since Rick came home from Iraq. Having a loved one wounded and come close to losing their life on a couple of occasions tends to make one realize what is important in life and what is not.

The main thing I always give thanks for,not just today,but everyday,is that I have my husband here with me. There are days when I get really depressed about what has happened,but I also know it could've been much much worse. So I am thankful for my wonderful husband being able to continue to share the journey of our life together.
The second thing I am thankful for is our son, Zach. He really is a great boy,with a good heart.

I am also thankful for my family and friends. Each of them are a piece of my life's puzzle,and without them,that puzzle would not be complete.

Having a roof over our heads,food on our plates,and clothing on our backs is cause for thanks. There are so many people out there who have none of these things,and I keep them in my thoughts and prayers,especially this time of the year. We have a good friend who has had his house repossessed,and he was fortunate enough to find a house that he can rent to own,so now his family can go from one house to the next without problems. However, I can only imagine the stress of knowing you are going to no longer have a roof over your head,and trying to find shelter for your family by a deadline,especially this time of the year when it's getting cold outside.It is not something I want to experience.

We have had moments when we did not have alot and just buying a turkey would've been too expensive. We have been the recipients of food baskets in the past,and though it was a blow to the ego,our family was fed. So I am even more grateful this year that we have a wonderful dinner planned for today.One never realizes how important food is until you don't have a lot of it. We are very very blessed this year.

Zachary "took care" of our turkey, known as Thanksgiving. This has been a ritual for the last couple of years,and he really likes having the responsibility. We will be eating around 1:00-2:00 PM. My mom is coming over. We went to her house for a few years,but it seems silly for her to cook all that food. So about 4 years ago,she started coming to our house,and she loves not having to cook! My sister and brother in law go to upstate NY to his Mom's,so it's just us and Mom. It's like our little holiday,and I enjoy that. More blessings!!!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment