Thursday, September 29, 2011

How I Saved Over $200

I began making my own laundry soap on Sept 5,2009.Why I remember this is because I have kept track of when I make the soap,and how much I have spent on the ingredients so I could see how much I saved.

When I purchased my items,though,I failed to mark down how much they were. Last week when I was shopping I wrote down the prices to use a guide.

My first initial purchase:
2 bars Fels Naptha soap @ .99 cents apiece= $1.98
One box Arm and Hammer Washing Soda= $2.69
One box of Borax= $3.69
-----------------------------------------------
Total spent= $8.36

Until then I had been buying Purex,which costs $4.49 for 2 qt,8 oz (I averaged it to 2 qts to make it easier to figure out).

Each batch I make is 2 gallons,which means I would have to purchase four Purex to equal 2 gallons (remember,I'm rounding down,here).

I have made 12 batches of soap since 9/09,and have only had to purchase two more bars of Fels Naptha since then,making my investment to date at $10.34,which averages to $.86 cents for every two gallon batch.

Now, if I had continued to use the Purex,I would've had to buy 48 jugs to equal 24 gallons,which would cost $215.52
                                                        Purex-$215.52
                                                  -    My soap-$10.34
                                                    -----------------------
                                                            =$205.18
That'a a great savings! It also lessens the amount of plastic jugs hitting the landfill.

2 comments:

  1. I always say that I'm going to try this, but never have yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this too (probably after reading it on your blog). The only thing I didn't like was the smell of the Fels-Naptha. So I switched to bars of Ivory. Works great!

    ReplyDelete