Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Crock Pot Chili

Today I am making crock pot chili. It's the time of year for hearty,stick-your-bones fare.The weather is cool out,and nothing says Fall like a nice bowl of steaming chili on a chilly night. Right now my pinto beans are on the stove,boiling until they soften up.

Here the last harvest of the season.I picked all this on Saturday before I pulled the plants. I went through the tomatoes today to see which ones I could use for the chili. I think we will make some fried green tomatoes with some of the ones which are not ripe yet.I will use the green peppers in the chili as well.

I have started to decorate the front yard with my corn stalks and pumpkins. The only thing I bought was mums. You can't tell in this photo,but there is a pumpkin on each side of the steps and a mum hanging on either side of the door. I do need to buy some spider webs and put my big old spider out.
Crock pot chili is incredibly easy. Here is the recipe I use:
1/4 lb pinto beans
(2) 14 1/2 oz cans tomatoes ( I use fresh tomatoes)
2 lbs ground beef,browned and drained ( you could use ground turkey as well)
1 green pepper,chopped
1 onion,chopped
2 cloves garlic,minced
2-3 tbs chili powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
Completely soften beans by cooking in boiling water on the stove. Drain the water off the beans and put all ingredients in the crock pot in the order listed and stir. Cover cook on Low for 10-12 hours,or High for 5-6. Top servings with shredded cheese or sour cream if desired.
The first time I made this chili,I had bought chili powder from a local Asian market.I used 3 tablespoons,as the recipe called for, and it was HOT!!!! We could barely eat it. I now use 1- 1/2 tablespoons of chili. We serve it with shredded Cheddar or Montery Jack cheese and sour cream on top.Corn bread is a great side,and I have also used the chili as a dip with tortilla chips,or crushed the chips and mixed them in the chili. Whatever your heart desires!





1 comment: