Monday, April 11, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise

Today I wanted to try something new. Since we are out of mayonnaise,I decided to give it whirl and make some of my own.
I am not the biggest fan of mayo. I personally only use it when I make tuna fish,or salads such as macaroni or potato. That's it. I still wanted to give it a shot.
My Mom called to chat this AM and when I told her that I was going to make my own mayo,she exclaimed ," Memere used to make her own mayonnaise!" (that's my grandmother). She then told me about all the different things that my Memere used to make,and finished by proclaiming,"That's a lot of work." That's usually what she says to me when I inform her of something new we are trying.
I was not put off,however. After I got off the phone,I went online and looked up various recipes. I settled on a variation of one by Chef Gordon Ramsey.

                                                 Homemade Mayonnaise

3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard (he called for English Mustard,Dijon is similar. I had to look it up)
1 1/2 cups of canola oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
lemon juice from half a lemon

Makes about three cups of mayonnaise

Mix egg yolks and Dijon Mustard in a food processor. I set mine on 3 and mixed it well.


Keeping the processor going,slooooowly pour in oil. I poured in a little a time,pausing between each addition of oil. Then when the mixture started to thicken up,I kept the slow steady stream of oil going until all the oil was mixed in with the egg/mustard. It will take a couple of minutes. Stop the processor,and add salt and pepper to taste,as well as the juice from half a lemon. Give the processor a nice little blast of power,and it's done.

When I first tasted it,it seemed a bit bland,so I added a bit more salt. This is something that one has to adjust to taste. Some folks use light olive oil,but the mayo will pick up the taste of the olive oil. Some folks use grapeseed oil. It's all up to what you like or want to experient with.
The mayo will be yellow because there are no egg whites,and in the photo you can see the dark bits from the Dijon Mustard. It tastes lighter than regular mayo. So far I have as yet to try it out on anything,but  I thought the taste was good. It keeps for up to 5 days,so you will want to remember what day you made it on. Don't go any longer than 5 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment