A few things have been going on lately. My garden is finally planted! Brother B and I sifted composted soil and refilled a few of the beds.This year,we are growing onions,sugar peas,green beans,garlic,tomatoes,potatoes,cukes,pumpkins,zucchini,summer squash,broccoli,beets,lettuce,and spinach. My herbs did not take,so I will have to buy some plants.
Yesterday we got 12 more Girls-four Buff Orphingtons,four NH Reds,and four Silver Lace Wynadottes. We had the dogs outside and they heard and smelled the chicks,so of course we let them investigate. Brother B held a chick in his hand,and Sasha just smelled the chick and left. Samson,however,immediately tried to put the whole chick in his mouth! Luckily,Brother B has quick reflexes and pulled the chick away before Samson could get the poor thing. It reminded me of the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons where Sylvester chomps down on Tweety whole and has feathers hanging out of his mouth (before Tweety manages to escape,of course).
The local carpenter,whose name is also Rick,came out and refitted our sink cabinet for the new apron sink.He also attached the new cabinet that we bought around Christmas to the rest of the cabinets,and then he also had to try and get them even.Since nothing in our house is flush,that wasn't surprising.
We had to take the drawers out,and clean out under the cabinet.We didn't have the proper saw to cut the sink out,so Carpenter Rick had to do when he got here.Under the sink was awful-we have had leaks from the pipes and the bottom board got horribly warped. Here is a close up:
Carpenter Rick made a new bottom for the cabinet,as well making supports for the new sink. You can see the bottom in this photo,as well as the new area for the sink:
Not only did we have to have our cabinet refitted,but of course,since the sink is much deeper,we had to have new doors made.Mr Ames,who is a great woodworker and lives a few streets over,made up our new doors for us. Carpenter Rick also had to make sure we could put our old sink back until the counter top is installed.
We had to slide the new sink into the space so the counter top guy could take the proper measurements for the counter top. He had to use strapping to create a template-though soon they are going to go digital.
I took a quick photo of the new sink in place to give you an idea of what it will look like,with the new doors.Counter top and sink should finally be installed next Thursday: