Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Forks and Knives

There are things that I am used to with Rick's TBI. Forgetting things,such as the day,month,where he is (though that doesn't happen often),and how to do some things that he used to do.
Then,sometimes,he will forget something that he has never forgotten before,and it throws me.
Sunday, I was in bed all day with a migraine. He made me supper,and as I was eating he came in with a fork and knife.
" I am making myself eggs and toast," he said. "I want to cut up the toast, but I can't remember which hand to put the fork and knife in and how to cut it." I felt my heart drop. This was new,at least to me. If he had forgotten in the past,he never mentioned it,so he probably could bring himself to remember. Not this time.
I took the fork and knife from him and showed him how to hold them and cut with them.
" Oh,now I remember.I just couldn't figure out how to do it," he said.
I know he hates forgetting simple things,and can only imagine how he felt having to ask his wife how to cut food. I know I felt bad that he had to ask.

4 comments:

  1. This made me tear up. Not just for him, but for myself as well. I know a time will come that I too will forget those types of things. Right now it is words, like the names of objects that I forget. My brain damage is progressive as well, and before long I will lose all those simple how-to's.

    At least you are dealing with it well. My husband gets frustrated with me, and that stress causes me to lose more words.

    A hug to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phelan, I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with a brain injury.It is not easy,and I too, can get very frustrated with Rick,more so when he asks the same thing several times in a day. I try real hard not to, though. What is the nature of your brain injury? You can email me if you like.
    Hugs to you and your husband as well. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mentioned it on my own blog, so I don't mind talking about it here. Mine is, well it seems a little odd to some people. I was born with severe migraines, 4 different types of them. Over the last 30 years of having them on average 1-2 times a week, lasting up to 3 days, it has caused trauma (the trauma actually began to be noticeable a few years ago). My migraines are slowly doing to me what a sudden severe head trauma would do in an instant. It will get worse, and I will die from a stroke. No ifs and or buts about that.

    Not sure what is worse, knowing that I will forget, or suddenly forgetting.

    Knowing that I might die before it gets worse, or it just getting worse.


    aw well, knowing that I will die because of it keeps me slightly more chipper. Got to enjoy things while I am able. I think the worst is when I don' know my boys names. That makes me cry every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your family are in my prayers,Phalen. I'm glad you can find the good things in each day.That's really all one can do,isn't it? Especially if you have children.Keep on keeping on,Phalen.

    ReplyDelete