Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Rick has been asking me what I would like for Mother's Day. I really didn't want anything,since we need to do so much around here,and we need each cent we have. He insisted that I must what something-anything-for My Special Day. I insisted back that I didn't-honestly-need anything,but if he wanted to do something,a nice breakfast in bed would be great.

I was awake at 7:00 AM,when I heard Rick come in. He was checking to make sure I was up...breakfast would be ready soon. Nice!

Rick and Zach came in with scrambled eggs,toast,OJ,and a cup of coffee (black-I don't like anything else anymore). Zach handed me the plate,and a homemade card that thanked me for being his Mom-how sweet! Zach and Rick had made the breakfast together,which I thought was great! Zach has been wanting to learn how to cook,and since Rick does most of the cooking now,he has been showing him things here and there. Zach put at DVD into the player and told me that he knew since I loved the Beatles,he knew I would love watching "A Hard Day's Night" while I ate breakfast. So I did (though I didn't get far in).

Rick emailed me a card,which he wrote himself,thanking me for Zach and for picking him. What a sweetie!!

Mother's Day is here again,and I decided to find out exactly how we came to celebrate it,so I looked it up. Apparently,Mother's Day has been around in some form and under various names for eons. If memory serves, I believe at the time of the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock it was called "Mothering Day" over in England,but the Pilgrims stopped celebrating it. Why,historians are not sure. Whether it has to do with it being against the strict religious way of the Pilgrims,or it has to do with the fact that they had too much to do to to establish themselves and considered any form of holiday a folly is uncertain. Mother's Day was started in earnest as a Civil War protest my Julia Ward Howe,famous suffragist and composer of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." She wrote a poem that was a call for all mothers to rise up against war that would lead to the death of their sons. It took a while to catch on,and was celebrated on different days until it finally came to it's permanent home on the second Sunday in May. The meaning has certainly changed from what Julia Ward Howe intended. Now it's to honor Moms and the things they do for their families.

I am fortunate that today I can celebrate Mother's day with both my Mom and my Godmother,who happens to also be my sister! We are going down to my sister's house for Mother's Day dinner,and to celebrate my brother in law's birthday.

To all you Mom's out there------Happy Mother's Day! Have a lovely one!

No comments:

Post a Comment