Sunday, May 30, 2010

Remembering Those Who Made The Ultimate Sacrifice

Tomorrow is Memorial Day. It's the day when we reflect and thank those who have died for this wonderful country. Without those brave souls,the United States would not exist.

Having had a husband who served,and who came very close more than once to being one of these fallen,Memorial Day is very special for me.

Not only am I thankful for those who died in service,it reminds me of how much more I need to to thankful for. Someone was watching out for Rick. I am convinced of it.

Tomorrow Zach and I are marching with our Boy Scout Troop in the Rochester Memorial Day Parade,and will attend a ceremony at the Commons afterward.Next year Rick should be able to join us. We will lower our flag to half staff,and each of us will reflect on the day in our own,quiet way. We will probably watch the ceremony in Washington,and a few war movies in tribute.

And we will never forget. Without these brave men and woman,who gave their lives for the freedom of their country,there wouldn't BE a country. It's their selfless act that makes our country great. We should never forget it.


Rick wrote this poem.He started it in Iraq and finished it after he was wounded:

A Soldier's Fight
I fight for God and peace,I fight for duty,honor,country.
I fight for my family so my wife will have a husband
So my son will have a father
So my younger brothers will have an older brother
So my father will have an their oldest son
I fight for those who have already fought
Many of them making the ulitimate sacrifice
I fight so others will not have to fight
I fight for those who are unable to fight
But yearn to
I fight for the freedom of those who can fight
But choose not to
I fight for my fellow soliders who stand beside me
In battle
I fight for my own life,knowing all to well
Each fight could be my last

-Spc Richard F Shaw,Jr 2005

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment